What is it about rooftops that make me feel like an explorer every time I find one? Looking down at the city’s streets rather than in between them makes me feel as if I’m in a different world entirely; like I’ve discovered a new world. I’ve always loved the view from the top, my best being the time I sat in the flight deck during a landing in Cape Town. The most awe-inspiring part was when the aqua waters and mountainous landscape appeared slowly through the clouds, and I had the best seat in the house. Cape Town never looked better.
Johannesburg is no view of Cape Town from 10 000 ft above, but the view of a concrete jungle offers it’s own beauty. Up above, where the street filth is unrevealed and where the car fumes can’t reach, the city of Johannesburg shines bright with an endless sea of gleaming skyscrapers and colourful billboards. New York through a hazed lens one might say.
A quick list of Jozi-living favourites:
- Dreamy sunsets. I have never witnessed more beautiful sunsets than I have during my year here. At almost every dusk, the sky is either a deep orange or pastel pink (or both!)
- The fact that no matter the time or day, you can go out and find ice-cream. Paul’s Homemade ice-cream is just down the road from me!
- Foreign cultures. Be it China Town in Cyrildene, or Little India in Fordsburg, you are never void of exotic cuisine and cultural diversity. I hope to do a more in depth guide to my favourite food spots in Jo’burg in the near future.
- Residential forests. Specifically pertaining to the area I live in, where every road is lined with the tallest and most beautiful trees that make morning runs and afternoon strolls the best!
- Party central. Jo’burg is buzzing, and there is a never-ending list of bars and restaurants to hit up.
- The locals. I must admit, at first I was a bit apprehensive about the people here, but I have been pleasantly surprised at just how lovely and down-to-earth they are. At least the people I have conversed with. Absolutely no airs or graces whatsoever and extremely helpful.
And now for some photos. I had a lot of fun editing these and I hope you like them as much as I do. Enjoy!